Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blogging from the road: Bathrooms, Death Metal, and WHOOTY

It's July, which means it is time for my family's yearly summer pilgrimage to New York. I'm not going to bore you with too many details. The only reason I am actually even writing right now is because the rest of my family members are either reading or watching Michael Jackson's funeral on TV. To me, watching a televised funeral is about as appealing as cattle prodding myself.
Our first potty break on the trip was at a Safeway off Braddock Road in Fairfax, Virginia. The bathroom was one of the scariest bathrooms I have ever encountered in my travels. I am glad that I didn't have to do a sit down job because there was no toilet paper. There was actually a roll of the brown industrial paper towels next to the toilet. Yikes! I did find a couple of amusing pieces of graffiti to share. No, my blog is not turning into the bathroom graffiti blog because this is the second post in a row to contain such pictures.

This is a mirror image of the words "Eat me" written on the side of a paper towel dispenser. The words you see aren't backwards (like you would typically see in a mirror image) because the person responsible actually took the time to write it backwards on the dispenser. THAT is dedication!






I saw this written on the wall. I have no idea what "BLoodz Beadooo Suwome" means. If you have any theories, please let me know!

Before we left for our journey, I was at home, bored, babysitting while my wife worked a short two week summer camp. I came across a show that I typically would not have given a second glance. The show is called "Uranium" on Fuse. This show does not really appeal to me because it plays videos by death metal, grindcore, and hardcore bands. I don't listen to these genres because (and here is my "old fogy" statement) they all sound the same to me. Take one part guitar and bass played at an incredibly rapid pace, one part drum sound that sounds like a helicopter, one part lyrics about violence and gore belched, growled, or screamed (incomprehensibly), and mix them all together. That is what it sounds like to me. I am not being negative, just truthful, because I have no doubt that it takes real talent to play guitar at that pace, and drum the way they drum. BACK TO THE POINT. So, I came across this show. In one segment, they were interviewing the death metal band Hate Eternal (asking questions in between playing video clips) . I found it very interesting to hear this band leader telling the interviewer about how this new album was inspired by the death of his old bass player and how the family of his old bass player was very supportive. The music that they play sounds like it was inspired by Satan, fatal car accidents, war, atomic bombs, and other horribly violent things. The interview was a little surreal to me, but have a look for yourself:


On the completely opposite side of the musical spectrum, what do you get when you cross a generic hip hop beat with a generic guitar part, several guys that cannot rap or sing (one apparently wearing pink lipstick), and the dumbest catch phrase in hip hop since "bling bling"? You get "Whooty" by Edubb. I found this video while channel surfing that same day:

"Whooty" is a mash up of the words "white girl" and "booty" (in case you didn't catch that). Yes, the guy with the lipstick proclaimed himself to be the "black Hugh Hefner," and no, the last guy on the song cannot sing. Those are obvious problems with this video and song. I noticed something else. The song is about white women with big asses and the video takes place in the "Whooty Sorority House somewhere on campus", but not all of the women in the video are white. I do not know a single black or Latin woman (I am pretty sure I saw a couple in the video) that would want to have anything to do with the "Whooty Sorority". Edubb and the makers of this video get the award for biggest dummies in the hip hop industry.

No comments:

Huffington Post