Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Random Thoughts and My Trip to the Grocery Store

Here are a couple of random thoughts for you...

1. If it always happens when you least expect it and I am always expecting it to happen; does that mean that it will never happen? What the hell is "it" anyway?

2. I was singing to my baby boy the other day because he was fussy. Among the few children's songs I actually know, I started singing "London Bridge." I tried to transition to "Mary had a Little Lamb" and I could not do it. I kept messing up the melody. Try this: sing "London Bridge" out loud a few times through. Then, start singing "Mary had a Little Lamb" right after without messing up the melody. It's hard, right?

The other day I went grocery shopping. Needless to say, I saw a couple of things that were quite amusing to me.

First thing's first: if you know me and we talk frequently, you have probably heard me talk about these...

I have never actually eaten one of these things, but I am guessing that the $249/lb. price tag is all hype. I have heard that these things are grown underground and specially trained dogs and pigs help people find them. I have heard some mythologizing about the taste ("Once you have it, you can't live without it."). I just could never bring myself to spend this much money on a little black fungi.

I found these in the produce section.

Nothing special to say about kumquats. This is not my first encounter. I just wanted to ask if anyone else thinks the name sounds really dirty/vulgar?

Finally, I found these in one of the snack aisles.

The picture is a little blurry (camera phone). These are dried shiitake mushrooms (second from the left). It's not so much the product as it is the placement. Are these really supposed to be a snack? I hope they aren't trying to compete with potato chips.

No comments:

Huffington Post